Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Onions, Bell Peppers and more!

So I don't know about anyone else, but I NEVER use a whole onion in a recipe. I mean, my husband isn't a huge onion fan whether it's cooked in or not, and while I like onions I can't imagine using a whole onion at once. I can't even count the number of times a recipe will call for a whole or even 1/2 an onion. I will say maybe I don't totally understand, and there are smaller onions out there, but as of now I just use some of the onion and put the rest in the fridge.  
I also run into this problem with bell peppers and celery. I really love bell peppers in a salad or on a homemade pizza, but when I'm the only one that eats them in the house it's hard to keep up before they go bad.  

Although I'm trying to save them, storage becomes another whole problem. No matter how hard I plan to make recipes with vegetables so that they don't go bad, I fail. Then I have 3/4 of an onion wasted, and not only is that food that's money. So, I have devised a plan and it works well for me.

After I buy the produce I wait until the first time I need to use it. Then I cut and chop up the whole thing. That's right, I even chop up the whole onion at once. 




bell pepper after chopped up. 

Then place all the chopped pieces on a cookie sheet that is lined with wax paper (or what used to be cereal bags, you can reference my post about Wax Paper )  let it sit in the freezer for a hour or so.


Then I pour them all into a mason pint jar and store it in my freezer. That way, when I need anything for a recipe, I just go to my freezer and pour out the amount I need. The onion pieces in the freezer will last for months compared to storing them in the fridge. So with just a little bit of work in the beginning, I can save time and money for months.  

I can honestly say that this isn't something that takes a lot of time, I did this when I was still working and it was one of the things that I could do to save time and money later on.     I hope that this post comes in helpful. Please share any ideas of ways you save produce. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest