Thursday, September 1, 2016

Preschool-Stay at Home Part 4

Since staying at home, I've noticed I've been able to apply my teaching skills to helping my littles learn, which has been really fun for me.  I loved teaching and to be able to teach my own girls more at home is such a joy.

As the school year approaches, I try to structure the day with a little more set aside learning time.  This year we are reviewing our letters and numbers, just as we did last year.  If you want to see my set-up for last year you can check it out here.  Also this year, I'm adding learning about time.  Now, I know A is only 3, but, we've already started a little and she is catching on so fast + she loves it.  I chose to start learning to tell time for two reasons.  1., it will help tie in with number recognition and 2. I can schedule our day around the clock (with some unstructured time in there too) and that way A knows exactly what we're doing and when.   My goal is that this will help with fits over wanting to do something when she wants to.  In the past we've had a schedule which has helped with that, but this year I wanted to take it a step further and have her learn to recognize the time as well.





So I made these clocks and really they were so easy to make.  Here's what you'll need:



Materials:


Paper of your choice
Markers
Circle to trace ( I used a glass plate)
A list of times you want to make clocks for

1. Trace circle on the paper of your choice:




2. Number clock:  I start with 12, 3, 6, & 9.  Then I go in and fill in the ones in-between.  This helps me get them more even.  The best part about this though, is as long as the numbers are in the right place, it doesn't have to be perfect.




3. If you are planning to make multiple clocks, you can trace additional clocks, just make sure to line up the circle. 




4. Mark the center:



5. Mark the time with the arrows: Make sure the small hand and large hand are noticeably small and large, you want it to be easy for your preschooler to recognize which one is which.




6. Label what the clock is for: (Lunch time, Walk time, Snack time, Letter/Number time, Picking up Daddy time).




7. Cut out clock and if you want the name:  Or you can write the name on the color paper too.  Glue onto colored construction or card stock paper.

     ***You could skip this part and have the clock and title on one page and not cut it out.  I just really like color and so wanted to include that somehow.*** 



I also like to coordinate things in some way so I chose color.  I didn't buy any paper, I just used what we had and made it work.  Here's how ours are organized: 

Bright Pink: A or J or friends specific (Pick-up Daddy or friend(s) arrives/goes home). 
Pink: Free play 
Green: Food (lunch, dinner or snack time)
Grey: Quiet time (books, TV,  pick-up toys or nap time activities)
Orange: Activities (Letter/Number time, crafts, special toys or outings) 



8. Then, hole punch each clock and tie with string, twine or ribbon:

      ***You could also just tape them up one at a time too.***



9. Finally, designate a spot where your clocks will be:  I have ours right by the large clock in our dining room.  I just added a command hook and then I just flip through the clocks as the day goes on.  Although, I may be switching this clock out for one that has more "normal" looking numbers. 






And there you go, you have your own clocks for different activities.  I love this because I can add or take away clocks as need be.  Plus, I can just flip the pages as opposed to writing the times down each time.  

1 comments:

Pinterest